Sunday, July 5, 2009

Marin Art Festival Review

A few weeks have passed since the Marin Art Festival, and I have to admit, this one wore me out! It wasn't the festival itself, since set-up was relatively easy. It was the mental strain of preparation, and that difficult switch to the "selling" side of art that did it.

The show wasn't a resounding success. It wasn't a failure either. Like most shows I've done this year, it was so-so. Marin puts on a gorgeous art festival. The quality of work was high, the food was very good, and the live music and entertainment was engaging. Attendance could have been better, but people were buying. Unfortunately, When you pay $1,000 just for the booth space, it's difficult to break even.

Despite the cost, I'll continue to do fine art festivals when I'm able. They are worth the effort for the opportunity to meet people face-to-face. When your art is hanging in a gallery, you usually don't get that chance. Someone I meet at a festival this year could result in a commission, sale or connection years later. When you spend most of your time holed up alone in the studio, that's invaluable!

There I am, in requisite floppy hat

Booth interior

The show from above

artist, Hines
another female figure artist (a rarity), Chelsea Croy
























some very elegant stilt walkers

glass sculpture by the bay



2 comments:

Andrew Kottenstette said...

Looks like you had some nice weather (no wind at least).

Mutrux Studio Blog said...

I can't complain about the weather. It was very warm, but beautiful.