Sunday, February 8, 2009

Work in Progress

Works in Progress


I’m always hesitant to post works in progress. It’s a double-edged sword. Incomplete paintings aren’t the best they could be. Yet, it’s important for me to show how paintings are created, and the crazy journey they sometimes take.

When I start working on a painting, I see what it will be. In my excitement, I’ve often shown people my new (sloppy mess of a) painting, not realizing they don’t see what I do.
This becomes a big issue when working on commissions. I’ve learned it’s best to reveal a commissioned work when it’s complete, for my own piece of mind. I say this, because there’s nothing more suffocating to one’s creative juices than a client looking over your shoulder making recommendations.

That said, I’m breaking my own rules today, and posting two commissions I’ve been working on. They are part of a series on iconic women, all 30x40” in size.

Marilyn

Marilyn has been a struggle for me. Part of me wants to really destroy it, and do something bold, brushy and drippy. Another part of me wants to make it glowing and pristine. I’m leaning toward the pristine, but I wish I could do two of them.


Billy Holiday

Billy is just in the beginning phase, I think I’ll be able to do a nice balance here, and won’t be overly tight in the rendering.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wonderful